Traffic Tickets & OWI/DUI

Oakland County DUI Attorney

Defending Your Future & Your Freedom

Traffic violations and drunk driving offenses can become a serious problem if you do not take care of them right away. If you are convicted of DUI, you could lose your driver's license, pay steep fines and face jail time. Our Oakland County defense lawyers are here to ensure that you get the justice you deserve.

The criminal defense attorneys at the Law Offices of Todd J. Stearn, P.C., can represent you in traffic violation and drunk driving cases throughout Southfield and surrounding areas. We know that keeping your driving privileges is crucial to your ability to work, go to school and care for your family. We provide experienced defense focused on protecting your rights and your license.

OWI/DUI, Traffic Tickets, & Your Driver's License

We defend people charged with all types of drunk driving offenses in Oakland County, including operating while intoxicated (OWI) and high BAC offense, commonly referred to as the Super Drunk law. As with most of the country, a BAC of 0.08% or higher qualifies as drunk driving and any driver with such a BAC can be cited for OWI. After an OWI conviction, your license will be suspended for 30 days. You may be able to get a restricted license after the 30-day suspension. We will represent you at the Driver Assessment and Appeal Division hearing to argue for your driving privileges.

OWI is a misdemeanor and carries harsh penalties. For a first OWI conviction, penalties may include a fine up to $500, up to 93 days in jail and a $1,000 driver responsibility fee for two years. You will also have six points added to your driver's license.

It is possible to lose your driver's license for traffic offenses as well as OWI offenses. Points are assessed for violations such as:

  • Speeding
  • Careless driving and reckless driving
  • Failure to stop for a school bus
  • Fleeing a police officer

If you accumulate 12 or more points in a two-year period, you could lose your license.

Paying a traffic ticket is the equivalent of pleading guilty. If you already have points on your license, contesting the ticket may be a better idea. You have the right to contest traffic tickets and OWI charges, and to have a lawyer represent you.

If you would like to schedule a free consultation, please contact us at (248) 744-5000 today.

Free Case Evaluation Get in touch with us today.

Send Your Message